Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Following is an excerpt from a writing by Debbie on 2/19/08:

My story is pretty typical, the kind of story you hear told and retold in recovery. The faces change, the cities change, and some of the gritty details change, but the feelings are all the same. The results are all the same; an agonizing, soul destroying, suicidal descent into desperate nothingness. The only thing that makes this story special is that it is mine......

It took the brutal honesty of the women in my group to inspire me. It has taken their vulnerability and their love to help me feel again. It has taken their encouragement to give me hope again.
I have been sober for 4 ½ months. It is nothing short of a miracle. It has been difficult, incredibly difficult, but then again so has the rest of it. I have such a long way to go, and I have no doubt that I am my own worst enemy. But I have glimpsed another way, and I long to see more. I have felt genuine happiness, and I want to feel more. I have come this far, and I want more.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Life's purpose, helping each other with unconditional love, was the gift that was given to Debbie -- and in turn that Debbie was giving away. Not many discover the unvarnished truth and can look on the beauty. And in the discovery, Debbie shines and brings light to us all.

Cheryl Strayed said...

That's so beautiful, Michelle, and also heartbreaking. Thank you for posting it. I am so glad that Debbie was seeing those glimmers of wanting and being "more" in these recent months.

Sending you and Jon and all your sweet children my love. Cheryl

use2bkdk said...

Dear Debbie,
We only met a few times, and that was long ago as children.
I have come to know you in recent years through your family.
More then anything, it is your words that have touched me. No, it’s more then that - they inspire me. I hope to help other women... brave women like you, who have worked so hard, or are working hard to be free.
Tomorrow is my first day volunteering at a local safe house here in Missouri.
I pray your story is not typical.
I can promise it will not be forgotten.
I will carry it with me always remembering your struggle.
May your spirit finally sore freely.
Peace, Karen